"Oxidative stress in patients with multiple sclerosis"Syburra C; Passi S, Ukr Biokhim Zh 1999 May-Jun;71(3):112-5
ABSTRACT: It is well known that brain and nervous system cells are prone to oxidative damage because of their relatively low content of antioxidants, especially enzymatic ones, and of the high levels of both membrane polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) and iron easily released from injured cells. We have investigated the oxidative stress in the blood (plasma, erythrocytes and lymphocytes) of 28 patients affected with multiple sclerosis (MS) and of 30 healthy age matched controls, by performing a multiparameter analysis of non-enzymatic and enzymatic antioxidants--Vitamin E (Vit. E), ubiquinone (UBI), reduced and oxidized glutathione (GSH, GS-SG), superoxide dismutase (SOD), glutathione peroxidase (GPX), catalase (CAT) and fatty acid patterns of phospholipids (PL-FA). PL-FA and Vit. E were assayed by GC-MS; UBI and GSH/GS-SG by HPLC; SOD, GPX and CAT by spectrophotometry. In comparison to controls, patients with MS showed significantly reduced levels of plasma UBI (0.21 +/- 0.10 vs. 0.78 +/- 0.08 mg/ml, p < 0.001), plasma Vit. E (7.4 +/- 2.1 vs. 11.4 +/- 1.8 mg/ml, p < 0.01), lymphocyte UBI (8.1 +/- 4.0 vs. 30.3 +/- 7.2 ng/ml blood, p < 0.001) and erythrocyte GPX (22.6 +/- 5.7 vs. 36.3 +/- 6.4 U/g Hb, p < 0.001). This blood antioxidant deficiency was associated with plasma levels of PL-PUFA--especially C20:3 n-6 and C20:4 n-6--significantly higher than controls.
In conclusion, the blood of patients with MS shows the signs of a significant
oxidative stress. The possibility of counteracting it by antioxidant administration
plus an appropriate diet, might represent a promising way of inhibiting
the progression of the disease. Antioxidant supplements should include
not only GSH repleting agents, but also Vit. E, ubiquinol, and selenium.
- Death Of David Rockefeller At 101: Media Obituaries Ignore His Central Role In Bilderberg Group
- Study Finds High-Dose B Vitamins Have Protective Effect Against Air Pollution
- LESSONS FROM HISTORY: Thomas Müntzer – Violent Revolution Is Never The Answer
- The Importance of Micronutrients for Healthy Hair
- MORE Bad News For Pharma: Bisphosphonate Drugs For Osteoporosis WEAKEN Bones!
- Worldwide Studies Show High-Dose B Vitamins Reduce Schizophrenia Symptoms
- U.S. Department Of Defense Revealed To Be Editing Wikipedia