Alterations of serum selenium, zinc, copper, and iron concentrations and some related antioxidant enzyme activities in patients with cutaneous leishmaniasis.Kocyigit A; Erel O; Gurel MS; Avci S; Aktepe N
Biol Trace Elem Res 1998 Dec;65(3):271-81
The aim of this study was to measure the alterations in serum selenium (Se), copper (Cu), zinc (Zn), and iron (Fe) concentrations and their carrier proteins, ceruloplasmin (Cp), transferrin (Tf) albumin, and related antioxidant enzyme activities, erythrocyte Cu-Zn superoxide dismutase (Cu-Zn SOD), glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px), and catalase (CAT) activities in patients with cutaneous leishmaniasis (CL). Erythrocyte Cu-Zn SOD activities, serum Cu concentrations, and Cp levels were found to be significantly higher in the patients group than those of controls. However, GSH-Px and CAT activities and Se, Zn, Fe, and Tf levels were lower in patients than in the control subjects. There were positive important correlation's between Cu-Zn SOD and Cp, Cu-Zn SOD and Cu, Cp and Cu, GSH-Px and Se, and Fe and CAT in the patients group. Our results showed that serum essential trace elements Se, Zn, Cu, and Fe concentrations and their related enzymes Cu-Zn SOD, GSH-Px, and CAT activities change in CL patients. The changes may be a part of defense strategies of organism and are induced by the hormonelike substances.
- Death Of David Rockefeller At 101: Media Obituaries Ignore His Central Role In Bilderberg Group
- Study Finds High-Dose B Vitamins Have Protective Effect Against Air Pollution
- LESSONS FROM HISTORY: Thomas Müntzer – Violent Revolution Is Never The Answer
- The Importance of Micronutrients for Healthy Hair
- MORE Bad News For Pharma: Bisphosphonate Drugs For Osteoporosis WEAKEN Bones!
- Worldwide Studies Show High-Dose B Vitamins Reduce Schizophrenia Symptoms
- U.S. Department Of Defense Revealed To Be Editing Wikipedia