Interaction of ascorbate and alpha-tocopherol enhances antioxidant reserve of erythrocytes during anemia in visceral leishmaniasis.Sen G; Mukhopadhaya R; Ghosal J; Biswas T
Life Sci 2000 Nov 17;67(26):3181-90
Visceral leishmaniasis (V.L.) is associated with enhanced lipid peroxidation along with impaired function of antioxidant defense system in erythrocytes. The effect of chronic treatment with ascorbate and alpha-tocopherol was studied on erythrocytes in hamsters infected with Leishmania donovani. Combination treatment with both antioxidants proved to be a potential suppressor of lipid hydroperoxide formation as well as hypotonic osmotic lysis during the leishmanial infection. Positive correlations between the depleted levels of erythrocyte ascorbate, GSH and alpha-tocopherol exhibit proportionate alterations in the nonenzymatic antioxidant levels at different stages of infection. Indirect measurement of transmembrane electron transfer as ferricyanide reduction suggests an active participation of endogenous contents of ascorbate and alpha-tocopherol in the protection against oxidative damage of membrane lipids. Cooperative behavior of both antioxidants in the ferricyanide reducing capacity was further evinced by resealing the ghosts in presence of exogenous ascorbate and alpha-tocopherol. Furthermore, intravesicular ascorbate serves in the defense of extravesicular ferricyanide induced oxidation of endogenous alpha-tocopherol. The results suggest an interacting role of ascorbate and alpha-tocopherol in maintaining the antioxidant reserve of erythrocytes during anemia in V.L.
- International Tribunal Accuses Monsanto Of Committing ‘Ecocide’
- Who Knows What’s Best For Your Children? You? Or The Government?
- Long-Term Use Of Antibiotics May Raise Risk Of Bowel Cancer
- Demise Of The Brussels EU Moves Closer: UK Government Issues Formal Notice Of Intention To Leave
- Death Of David Rockefeller At 101: Media Obituaries Ignore His Central Role In Bilderberg Group
- Study Finds High-Dose B Vitamins Have Protective Effect Against Air Pollution