Interaction of ascorbate and alpha-tocopherol enhances antioxidant reserve of erythrocytes during anemia in visceral leishmaniasis.Sen G; Mukhopadhaya R; Ghosal J; Biswas T
Life Sci 2000 Nov 17;67(26):3181-90
Visceral leishmaniasis (V.L.) is associated with enhanced lipid peroxidation along with impaired function of antioxidant defense system in erythrocytes. The effect of chronic treatment with ascorbate and alpha-tocopherol was studied on erythrocytes in hamsters infected with Leishmania donovani. Combination treatment with both antioxidants proved to be a potential suppressor of lipid hydroperoxide formation as well as hypotonic osmotic lysis during the leishmanial infection. Positive correlations between the depleted levels of erythrocyte ascorbate, GSH and alpha-tocopherol exhibit proportionate alterations in the nonenzymatic antioxidant levels at different stages of infection. Indirect measurement of transmembrane electron transfer as ferricyanide reduction suggests an active participation of endogenous contents of ascorbate and alpha-tocopherol in the protection against oxidative damage of membrane lipids. Cooperative behavior of both antioxidants in the ferricyanide reducing capacity was further evinced by resealing the ghosts in presence of exogenous ascorbate and alpha-tocopherol. Furthermore, intravesicular ascorbate serves in the defense of extravesicular ferricyanide induced oxidation of endogenous alpha-tocopherol. The results suggest an interacting role of ascorbate and alpha-tocopherol in maintaining the antioxidant reserve of erythrocytes during anemia in V.L.
- Death Of David Rockefeller At 101: Media Obituaries Ignore His Central Role In Bilderberg Group
- Study Finds High-Dose B Vitamins Have Protective Effect Against Air Pollution
- LESSONS FROM HISTORY: Thomas Müntzer – Violent Revolution Is Never The Answer
- The Importance of Micronutrients for Healthy Hair
- MORE Bad News For Pharma: Bisphosphonate Drugs For Osteoporosis WEAKEN Bones!
- Worldwide Studies Show High-Dose B Vitamins Reduce Schizophrenia Symptoms
- U.S. Department Of Defense Revealed To Be Editing Wikipedia