High Blood Pressure
A randomized, double-blind, controlled trial of vitamin C in the management of hypertension and lipids.
Hajjar IM; George V; Sasse EA; Kochar MS
Am J Ther 2002 Jul-Aug;9(4):289-93
The effect of vitamin C on blood pressure is not well established. This
is a randomized, double-blind control trial. Eligible patients were followed
for 8 months. Patients were randomized to 500, 1000, or 2000 mg vitamin
C. During each visit, a history including medication change was obtained
and standardized blood pressure measurements were performed. A 1-week
dietary diary was filled out before each visit. Multiple regression analysis
and subsequent multiple comparisons were used for data analysis. Fifty-four
patients satisfied our criteria and agreed to participate. Thirty-one
patients (mean age, 62 +/- 2 years; 52% men, 90% whites) were randomized
to the three doses of vitamin C. Overall compliance was 48 +/- 2%. Both
mean systolic blood pressure (SBP) and diastolic blood pressure (DBP)
decreased during the vitamin C supplementation phase [mean SBP dropped
by 4.5 +/- 1.8 mm Hg (P <.05) and DBP by 2.8 +/- 1.2 mm Hg (P <.05)].
There was no difference between the three vitamin C groups (P =.48). This
effect was significant for only 1 month of supplementation, but the trend
persisted. There was no reported intolerance to vitamin C. There was no
change in lipid levels after 6 months of treatment. Vitamin C supplementation
lowers blood pressure in mildly hypertensive patients. There is no additional
benefit for a higher dose than 500 mg daily.
- Death Of David Rockefeller At 101: Media Obituaries Ignore His Central Role In Bilderberg Group
- Study Finds High-Dose B Vitamins Have Protective Effect Against Air Pollution
- LESSONS FROM HISTORY: Thomas Müntzer – Violent Revolution Is Never The Answer
- The Importance of Micronutrients for Healthy Hair
- MORE Bad News For Pharma: Bisphosphonate Drugs For Osteoporosis WEAKEN Bones!
- Worldwide Studies Show High-Dose B Vitamins Reduce Schizophrenia Symptoms
- U.S. Department Of Defense Revealed To Be Editing Wikipedia