High Blood Pressure
Combination oral antioxidant supplementation reduces blood pressure.
Galley HF; Thornton J; Howdle PD; Walker BE; Webster NR
Clin Sci (Lond) 1997 Apr;92(4):361-5
1. Hypertension affects 30% of adults and low intakes of antioxidants have been associated with increased risk of hypertension and cardiovascular disease. To investigate the effect of short-term high-dose antioxidant supplementation on blood pressure in hypertensive and normotensive outpatients, we undertook a randomized, double-blind, crossover design placebo-controlled study. 2. Forty subjects were recruited from medical outpatient clinics, of whom 38 completed the study. Twenty-one were attending for treatment of hypertension and 17 were normotensive, attending for minor gastrointestinal complaints. Subjects were randomly assigned to receive either 8 weeks placebo followed by 2 weeks washout then 8 weeks antioxidants or vice versa. The combination of antioxidants consisted of 200 mg of zinc sulphate, 500 mg of ascorbic acid, 600 mg of alpha-tocopherol (sodium succinate salt) and 30 mg of beta-carotene daily. 3. Systolic blood pressure fell at the end of the antioxidant phase compared with the placebo phase both in subjects receiving anti-hypertensive therapy (P < 0.01) and those who were normotensive (P = 0.067). Circulating levels of beta-carotene and alpha-tocopherol increased in all subjects during supplementation (P < 0.01) and urine nitrite increased in hypertensive patients (P < 0.05). 4. Short-term oral high-dose combination antioxidant therapy reduces blood pressure, possibly via increased availability of nitric oxide. This study may have implications for the innovative use of antioxidants as an adjunct to anti-hypertensive therapy.
- Death Of David Rockefeller At 101: Media Obituaries Ignore His Central Role In Bilderberg Group
- Study Finds High-Dose B Vitamins Have Protective Effect Against Air Pollution
- LESSONS FROM HISTORY: Thomas Müntzer – Violent Revolution Is Never The Answer
- The Importance of Micronutrients for Healthy Hair
- MORE Bad News For Pharma: Bisphosphonate Drugs For Osteoporosis WEAKEN Bones!
- Worldwide Studies Show High-Dose B Vitamins Reduce Schizophrenia Symptoms
- U.S. Department Of Defense Revealed To Be Editing Wikipedia