Treatment of congestive heart failure with coenzyme Q10 illuminated by meta-analyses of clinical trials.
Soja AM; Mortensen SA
Molecular Aspects of Medicine 1997;18 Suppl:S159-68
The purpose of this was to investigate the effect of coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10)
in patients with congestive heart failure (CHF) by measuring the possible
improvement of certain relevant hemodynamic heart parameters. A statistic
aggregation method know as a meta-analysis was used to measure the changes
in the cardiac parameters. To begin with we collected the total number
of randomized controlled trials and from a total of 14 studies published
in the period of 1984-1994, eight studies met our inclusion criteria.
The rest were excluded because of a lack of data which made a meta-analysis
impossible. The relevant effect parameters investigated were stroke volume
(SV), cardiac output (CO), ejection fraction (EF), cardiac index (CI),
end diastolic volume index (EDVI), systolic time intervals (PEP/LVET)
and total work capacity (Wmax). Seven meta-analyses were performed, one
for each of the parameters, and the calculated effect sizes were all positive.
Statistical significance could be demonstrated for all of the parameters
except the PEP/LVET and Wmax thereby indicating an improvement of greater
or lesser magnitude in the CoQ10 group as opposed to the placebo group.
Accordingly, the average patient in the CoQ10 group had a better score
with regard to SV and CO than 76 and 73% respectively of the patients
in the placebo group. In conclusion, supplemental treatment of CHF with
CoQ10 is consistent with an improvement of SV, EF, CO, CI and EDVI. Homogeneity
could be established for SV and CO. Additional clinical trials of the
effect of CoQ10 on CHF are necessary, but, on the basis of the evidence
currently available, the possibility remains that CoQ10 will receive a
well-documented role as an adjunctive treatment of CHF.
- Death Of David Rockefeller At 101: Media Obituaries Ignore His Central Role In Bilderberg Group
- Study Finds High-Dose B Vitamins Have Protective Effect Against Air Pollution
- LESSONS FROM HISTORY: Thomas Müntzer – Violent Revolution Is Never The Answer
- The Importance of Micronutrients for Healthy Hair
- MORE Bad News For Pharma: Bisphosphonate Drugs For Osteoporosis WEAKEN Bones!
- Worldwide Studies Show High-Dose B Vitamins Reduce Schizophrenia Symptoms
- U.S. Department Of Defense Revealed To Be Editing Wikipedia