Double-blind, randomised study of the effect of combined treatment with vitamin C and E on albuminuria in Type 2 diabetic patients.
Gaede P; Poulsen HE; Parving HH; Pedersen O
Diabet Med 2001 Sep;18(9):756-60
AIMS: Elevated levels of urinary albumin excretion rate (AER) predict high risk for progressing to end-stage renal disease. In streptozotocin-induced diabetes, supplementation with vitamin C or E reduces albuminuria and glomerular hypertrophy. We tested the hypothesis that supplementation of both vitamin C and E in pharmacological doses lowers AER in Type 2 diabetic patients with persistent micro/macroalbuminuria. METHODS: Thirty Type 2 diabetic patients with AER 30-300 mg/24 h were included in a double-blind randomised, cross-over trial. Patients received vitamin C (1250 mg) and vitamin E (680 IU) per day or matching placebo for 4 weeks with a 3-week wash-out period between treatment periods in random order. RESULTS: Combined treatment with vitamin C and E reduced AER by 19% (95% CI 6-34%) (p = 0.04), geometric mean 197 mg/24 h (95% CI 114-341 mg/24 h) vs. 243 mg/24 h (146-404 mg/24 h). No changes were seen in serum creatinine, haemoglobin A1C or blood pressure. Fasting plasma concentrations of vitamin C and E increased in all patients during active treatment (mean vitamin C 79.4 micromol/L (SD 27.8) vs. 41.9 micromol/L (18.4) and vitamin E 47.0 micromol/L (19.8) vs. 29.5 micromol/L (15.3), P < 0.000001). Except for two patients that started additional blood pressure lowering treatment during the run-in period, no changes in medication, food and exercise habits or in the number of smokers occurred during the study. CONCLUSION: Short-term treatment with vitamin C and E in pharmacological doses lowers AER in Type 2 diabetic patients with micro/macroalbuminuria. Further long-term, large-scale studies of this albuminuria reducing treatment modality are warranted.
- Death Of David Rockefeller At 101: Media Obituaries Ignore His Central Role In Bilderberg Group
- Study Finds High-Dose B Vitamins Have Protective Effect Against Air Pollution
- LESSONS FROM HISTORY: Thomas Müntzer – Violent Revolution Is Never The Answer
- The Importance of Micronutrients for Healthy Hair
- MORE Bad News For Pharma: Bisphosphonate Drugs For Osteoporosis WEAKEN Bones!
- Worldwide Studies Show High-Dose B Vitamins Reduce Schizophrenia Symptoms
- U.S. Department Of Defense Revealed To Be Editing Wikipedia