Coronary Heart Disease
Homocysteine and coronary artery disease in French Canadian subjects: relation with vitamins B12, B6, pyridoxal phosphate, and folate.
Dalery K; Lussier-Cacan S; Selhub J; Davignon J; Latour Y; Genest
We determined plasma levels of homocysteine in 584 healthy subjects (380 men and 204 women) from a major utility company in the province of Quebec, Canada, and in 150 subjects (123 men and 27 women) with angiographically documented coronary artery disease (CAD) (age < 60 years). Plasma levels of vitamins B12, B6, pyridoxal phosphate (a vitamin B6 derivative), and folate were also determined. Mean homocysteine levels were higher (p < 0.05) in the bottom quartiles for folate, vitamin B12, and pyridoxal phosphate. A significant correlation was noted between homocysteine levels and folate and vitamin B12 levels. No significant correlation was found between plasma homocysteine levels and age, lipids and lipoprotein cholesterol, glucose, and the presence of hypertension or cigarette smoking in healthy subjects or in patients with CAD. Control men had higher homocysteine levels than control women (p < 0.005). Men and women with CAD had higher levels of homocysteine than controls (11.7 +/- 5.8 vs 9.7 +/- 4.9 nmol/ml [p < 0.001] and 12.0 +/- 6.3 vs 7.6 +/- 4.1 nmol/ml, p < 0.01, respectively). Women and men with CAD had similar homocysteine levels. The proportion of patients with CAD having homocysteine levels > 90th percentile of controls was 18.1% for men and 44.4% for women (both p < 0.01). Significantly lower pyridoxal phosphate levels were seen in subjects with CAD, men and women combined (27.7 +/- 29.5 vs 42.1 +/- 38.4 ng/ml, p < 0.005). No significant differences were observed for B12, folate, or total B6.
- Death Of David Rockefeller At 101: Media Obituaries Ignore His Central Role In Bilderberg Group
- Study Finds High-Dose B Vitamins Have Protective Effect Against Air Pollution
- LESSONS FROM HISTORY: Thomas Müntzer – Violent Revolution Is Never The Answer
- The Importance of Micronutrients for Healthy Hair
- MORE Bad News For Pharma: Bisphosphonate Drugs For Osteoporosis WEAKEN Bones!
- Worldwide Studies Show High-Dose B Vitamins Reduce Schizophrenia Symptoms
- U.S. Department Of Defense Revealed To Be Editing Wikipedia